Home | About Us | Research Studies | Collaboration | Community Service | CPRS Blog | Links | Contact Us
(CC) This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-
Copyright © 2014 Cove Paranormal Research Society
The Hublersburg Inn Historical Notes of Interest
While reviewing some of the history of the Hublersburg Inn, we noticed there were many quick ownership changes so we decided to narrow our focus on events of interest and periods of extended ownership for our study. It should also be noted that the Hublersburg Inn was once a hotel, tavern, residence, restaurant, and now restaurant/bar/bed and breakfast. There would have been many people who visited this location which makes it very difficult to say who could be responsible for the experiences or who may still visit from the Hublersburg Inn's past.
Original Owner Andrew McKee built The Hublersburg Hotel in 1827.
Anthony Carner was granted a license to keep a hotel in 1849. Physician Henry P.
Strouse used part of the hotel as a doctor's office in 1860. Since Anthony also had
a local store, he often had a proprietor who took care of the hotel. One proprietor
John H. Morrison kept the hotel in Hublersburg from 1864 -
April 1867 Owner Christina Hubler of Haines Township. Christina was a daughter-
Shortly after purchase, Christina deeded her property to her children and heirs, but she continued as the hotel's landlady. In 1871, this property supposedly went up for sheriff sale. In January of 1872, Elisha Elliot bought the hotel property for $12. The Hublers however retained ownership of the Hotel.
The following Hublers were living at the hotel in 1880: Christina age 78, Michael, her son, age 57, was the hotelkeeper, sister Mariah age 45, and Regina, niece, age 19. Christina died in 1880 and Michael in 1888, so this left Mariah as the hotelkeeper with Regina helping her. Mariah and Regina ran more of a boarding house than a hotel with no sale of alcohol. They were members of the Reformed Church, and often held church socials at the hotel. They would lecture the men of the town on tobacco chewing and smoking. When Mariah died in 1903, she left her interest to Regina.
Regina was the proprietor until 1913, when she passed away. In her will, she gave all her real and personal property to her aunt Rebecca Charles. After her death, Rebecca left all of the furnishings of the hotel and her share of the real estate to Magdalena Weaver, who had taken care of her during her illness.
When the hotel was not used as a hotel, several families lived in it for a few years. One was Robert McCloskey and another was the William Poorman family.
The property stayed in the name of the Hubler heirs until December of 1926, when it was sold to J. McClellan Davis when improvements were done to the Hotel.
The Hotel became known as "Ye Old Tavern" around 1930 under the ownership of J. McClellan
Davis who then passed away in 1931 when his widow transferred the Hotel to Gertrude
Flick in 1935. Gertrude catered to the public, specializing in Sunday dinners, and
catering to different societies, bridge parties, etc. One of the specialties was
William J. Myers purchased the property on December 5, 1945. He kept it until he
sold it to Joseph J. Rozgay and his wife, Mary, on August 4, 1950. Remodeling was
done around 1965-